It has become very common to see people using oral piercing. On the tongue, on the cheeks, on the lips, etc. Oral piercings to the consumer’s liking, which cause alarming oral injuries. And although said piercing is considered a modern adornment, its use dates back to ancient civilizations. It is a custom rescued by the punk movement in the late 70’s of the last century.
Your biggest users or fan is the youngest people. Oral piercing are applied for different purposes. Rebellion, religion, belonging to groups or urban tribes, for copying an idol of the song or fashion actor, for being accepted among his friends, for sexual pleasure, etc.
Young people who seem owners of the habit of piercing. But oral piercing is not only carried by young people. It is a fashion that people of all kinds are using. According to the statistics, today approximately 8% of the population over 14 years old, carry them of some kind. Although oral piercings are the most common.
The fashion of oral piercing has brought with it a series of health complications. Especially for oral health because the mouth is one of the places in the body where more bacteria and pathogens pass. It is where it is easier to contract and spread diseases. For this reason, the problems of infections, broken teeth have increased. In addition, there are the oral piercings of the tongue, which cannot be opened, it has had to proceed to cut them to be able to remove them and make the necessary cures.
Study results of the use of piercings
After so many consultations on problems contracted after the use of oral piercings, studies have begun to be carried out in this regard. In one of the investigations carried out by the Rey Juan Carlos University of Madrid, it can be seen that 72% of those who wear oral piercing suffer from a problem caused by the use of the ornament and the complications that most frequently occur are:
- Inflammation (35%)
- Pain (18%)
- Difficulty speaking and chewing food (15%)
- Alteration of the sense of taste (5%)
- Bleeding (4%)
- Increased salivation, tingling and infections (2%)
- Allergies (1%)
- Although in reality the injury that most worries dentists and doctors are the periodontal injuries that end up suffering almost half of the users of oral piercing (48.1%), especially metal.
The time you have to wait before eating after having a procedure in the dentist’s office depend heavily on the type of work you have done specific.
If you’ve been through a cleaning and regular examination, 1greatwhitesmile.com recommended to wait for 30 minutes before eating, if you have made a fluoride treatment. If not, you can and eat.
Anesthesia and numbness
The procedures dental, such as extractions, crowns and fillings, require that your gums are numb to feel no pain when the procedure is performed. Wait until the numbness to go to eat. Otherwise, you could bite your tongue or the inside of your gums.
You extract a tooth is quite invasive. Ask your dentist specific instructions about when you can eat.
According to Mickey Bernstein, DDS, Memphis, if your teeth whitened, wait several days before eating or drinking something dark color, like red wine, coffee, cranberry juice, mustard or tea. Open pores in the teeth need time to close. Lance Timmerman DMD, Seattle, note that teeth whitening recently are in what is considered a demineralized state, and are more likely to stain. Saliva will help demineralizer enamel in 48 hours, and then when you’ll be able to eat foods that tend to bleach them.
There are many commercial options available in the market today for teeth whitening. Strips and trays to specialized toothpastes, gums and mouthwashes, many companies have tried to grab a piece of the whitening craze. However, the most effective treatment is still office whitening by your dentist.
The effectiveness of tooth whitening by a dentist it is in the tools they use. The first is the hydrogen peroxide gel industrial strength (15 to 35 percent). The dentist will also use a shield to protect the gums from harmful effects of the same gel. The last important tool teeth whitening is laser light, which helps to increase the bleaching effect of the peroxide gel.
The teeth whitening process begins with protective gel or mouth parts. These are carefully placed on any area of the gums that may be exposed to the high concentration of hydrogen peroxide. The dentist may also use special clamps to keep the mouth open better access to their teeth and gums. Once gums have been protected, the dentist will apply the gel completely hydrogen peroxide through the surface of the teeth. The gel is allowed to sit on your teeth for a prescribed amount of time (depending on how the teeth are stained), usually under a special light that helps increase the ability of bleaching gel. After the gel has had time to sit down, the dentist then rinse the patient’s mouth until you have removed all the gel. The process can be repeated several times, depending on how severe and deep the stains.
Because the dentist whitening protects gums, it can be much safer than any of the commercial products in the market. However, due to the high percentage of hydrogen peroxide in the solution gel, deciduous tooth sensitivity may be a common side effect of whitening office visits.
Certain types of crowns or fillings that becomes more noticeable after tooth whitening. This is especially true of crowns or fillings that were installed before the end of the nineties. This is because the fillings available at that time were not as white as the teeth can now become after a typical bleaching session. However, these crowns and filling may be replaced by whiter most new implants if it bothers the color difference.
As a patient, you have the right to know any previous offense against your dentist and if operating with a valid license. For the same reason, you also have the right to know that information about any assistant and hygienist dental. Find information about your dentist requires locate your State License Board Dental, which vary from state to state, although the procedure is regularly like.
- Locate your State Board of Dental Licenses (see the Resources section of this article for a list)
- Reviews the basis of data for your dentist or dental hygienist, the site web must provide a list of all licensed dentists in the side, although some states (like New York) can contact the State Department of Education. Many states also have lists of where the dentists and dental hygienists attending the school and how long they have been practicing.
- Call the State Board of Dental Licensing status and asked whether any disciplinary action taken against your dentist. Depending on the state, you may have to send a written request, while some states provide information by phone. Regardless of that, the information will be sent after asking. Some states charge a nominal fee of less than $ 1 per page of information required.
- Order the telephone number for dental complaints or locate it on the website of the state. Please keep this number in case you need to file a complaint against the dentist or dental hygienist.
Successfully introduce dentists to new areas requires the use of many approaches. Just place an ad in the newspaper you will not differentiate a new dentist existing. Marketing strategies must be long term and extend beyond an ad placed by one week. In addition, dentists must have an online presence; at least, provide patients with information of contact.
- Develop a strong marketing theme. For example, a dentist may promote developed new strengths while working in other areas, such as extensive experience (for example, 15 years practicing orthodontics) or awards and previous publications. A dentist can also emphasize the use of the latest technologies such as three-dimensional technology that allows dentists to restore the patient’s teeth during a single visit. Choose carefully and balances subject words and images to avoid using too many words.
- Implements a tactical strategy. Using various means, including direct mail, television commercials and phone books and online ads to reach the target audience. If a dentist joins an existing group, then send postcards that highlight the skills of the new dentist to existing patients. He adds discounts or promotions referral of patients to the posters to attract patients to promote the practice. Another way is to use blogs, dentists can use to establish credibility with the local community, and answer common questions (for example, causes an abscess).
- Sign up for dental insurance plans. Most insurance companies charge less when patients selected network dentists. A new dentist can participate in different directories, thus attracting patients insured with programs like Medicaid, Medicare, Blue Cross Blue Shield or AARP.
- Promotes alternative payment, Many potential customers cannot schedule appointments with the dentist, because they lack insurance coverage. A new dentist can offer reduced fees for consultation and services to the elderly, students or patients who pay with cash.
- Join local groups such as the Chamber of Commerce and state chapter of the American Dental Association. Contact school districts to place ads in primary, middle and high schools, parents’ commercials that introduce and describe dental services. In addition Advertise in the high-end residential developments that is nearby, including through community newsletters.
Tips & Warnings
- Emphasizes language skills, that is, if the dentist speaks languages other than English, such as Mandarin, Hindi or Arabic.
- Analyze marketing results to evaluate the efficacy, by surveying new patients to determine how they heard about you. Do not go spending money on an ineffective strategy.
Here are some tips below for good healthy teeth:
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily. Try to do it as soon as possible: getting up in the morning and before bedtime.
- Once a day, use dental to clean between the teeth and remove food that his brush was unable to clean thread. Do not use chopsticks, causing decay.
- Go to your teeth regularly reviewed. Twice a year is enough to maintain a healthy and clean mouth.
- Before a dental problem, such as pain or injury, a visit to a dental clinic is unavoidable, since the pains rarely happens with ordinary painkillers and only happen once the problem causing it is resolved.
- To prevent tooth fractures in games, we recommend that your children wear mouth guards, since most of them occur while playing sports.
- If you have any questions, visit your dentist: Prevention is always better than cure.
- Have a healthy lifestyle: a diet low in sugars, smoke as little as possible and avoid excessive alcohol.
- If you have other health problems, think how it can affect your oral health.
- Follow the advice of your dentist.
- Remember that health is the best smile.